Monday, March 18, 2013

The Influence of a Single Act.

Sometimes the simplest, stupidest things can change a person's life dramatically.

Years ago, when I went to Jefferson High in Portland, I was about one inch shorter, twenty pounds of fat lighter, and ten pounds of muscle heavier.  I also lived in a land of giants.  It's no joke!  As a teenaged half-asian islander, I grew up amid a predominantly African-American population.  Most of my peers were (and still are) strong, proud, and extremely physically imposing compared to me.  In short, I was a sprout in a forest of redwoods.

In my freshman year, of course I had to take P.E.  Now, don't get me wrong, I was never picked last at sports but I was certainly never picked first.  Everybody knew me as the kid who sprinted like lightning but couldn't really excel at anything else.

Until one fateful day.

When it came time for Basketball to be the sport of the week, I knew one thing: this was where I was going to be among the last picked.  Not because of my shortcomings (pun intended), but because of everybody else's physical gifts.  Most everybody in that class stood at least five-eight.  I was five-three.  I remember the captains being picked.  Four of them.  One of them, I remember clear as day.  Eldrick Trevell Bolden.

I knew Eldrick from Middle School.  We'd been friends.  Not good or close friends, but friends enough to where we fed off each other whenever we goofed off in class.  He hung with his crew, and I hung with mine, but in the end, he and I knew we both had things in common.  We both loved basketball, pretty girls, and driving teachers nuts.

Eldrick had second pick that day.  The first captain, a talented athletic kid we called "Chach" took the tallest, strongest guy first.  It didn't surprise anybody.  Then came Eldrick's turn.  He had the pick of the litter.  Two guys at least a foot taller than I, another three who were undoubtedly stronger, my friend Ajay Hansraj who could drain threes with his eyes closed, and my other friend Rokie who was stronger, tougher, taller, and had an overall better game.

Eldrick wasted no time and picked me.

I couldn't believe my ears.  As I walked over, I couldn't help the smile on my face.  Not because I was feeling cocky, but because of the smile on his face.  He had complete confidence in his decision.  I'll never forget what he said to me as he reached out to slap my hand.

"You's my number 1 draft pick dawg..."

He had no reason to pick me.  No reason at all.  Out of everybody in that class, he chose the one person that made no sense for him to pick.  One thing was for damn sure.  I made sure he didn't regret his pick.  I don't think I've ever moved faster, pushed harder, or shot better than that week.  I drained threes, cut to the basket, rebounded, and played insane defense.  I made sure that this man who took a gamble on me would see his faith rewarded.  On that day, I discovered the first hero in my life who I wasn't related to.  He had the courage to defy the status quo.  He went against the grain.  Out of all the people that day who could have picked first, he chose me.  He believed in me when he had no reason to.  He gave me confidence during a dark time in my life.  He showed me just how kind people can be.  He gave me a reason to believe in myself.

After that week, I was invited to every pickup game in that gym whenever I was around.

Last week I found out that my good friend was murdered three years ago.

Apparently he was in Mississippi visiting family.  Some idiot took his life.  I had written in a part for Eldrick in my latest book.  I hadn't seen or heard from him since moving out of Portland and I wanted to know how he was doing.  When I found out, it felt like a knife stabbing my heart.  I wanted to cry.  I still want to.  I wasn't his best friend nor was he mine.  I won't pretend we were close.  But I will acknowledge that he was a hero to me.  He will be sorely missed, and I intend to ensure his name will live on.

Rest in peace, Eldrick.
I won't ever forget you.


3 comments:

  1. This meant a lot! I appreciate your amazing story of a good friend of mine who meant the world to a lot of people! Eldrick is and will always be a hero!

    Fisk #34 Forever......Much Love EL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! But I wouldn't expect anything else from El. That was his personality and spirit he was an amazing person. Our very first encounter he displayed such energy and liveliness to the gym. He is truly missed..Fisk #34 R.I.P

    ReplyDelete
  3. RIP To My Brother! My hero too... Sam & El Forever #DynamicDuo

    ReplyDelete