Thursday, January 3, 2013

Sony Patents New Anti-Resell Tech (Supposedly)

In an interesting article I read at IGN- Here's the article (I know, I know, *groan*) it seems that Sony has filed a patent application which will prevent games from being resold through a contactless chip which emits a signal to the console.  This signal embeds a "code" within the console, thus allowing content on the disc to be played/installed/whatever.  Read the article for details, I'm just glossing over here.

Of course, the flame wars immediately begun, with Xboxers vs. the Playboys not only swearing off PS4 (which I think is stupid in many ways) but threatening to jump to different consoles and slamming Sony.

I find it ironic that nobody addressed the real problem though: Piracy.

Simply put, NONE of these draconic measures would even be necessary if people simply didn't steal software.

I'll admit first off, that yes, I have downloaded software in the past without paying for it.  Initially.  If I found I liked the software, I purchased it in full and made sure I gave my share to the devs.  But this was usually only when demo versions of said software are unavailable.  I generally distrust torrent and torrent sites (you can only get STD's if you sleep with potentially infected people right?) so I avoid them like the plague these days and have such been burned a couple times after purchasing something only to find it was a piece of crap afterwards, but hey, at least I'm honest.

But back to the point, if people would just STOP STEALING GAMES, then crap like this wouldn't even need to be implemented.  Although there is still one problem.

Reselling.

The devs make no money of resold games.  Which is a shame.  Personally, I buy 70% of my games used.  Mostly because nobody buys my books and my day job pays crap lol.  What needs to happen here, is the big 3 need to establish some sort of infrastructure for resellers to report sales of used games.  While the demographics would be incredibly useful to marketing, finding a way to track used sales would be a  good start to finding a way to profit of said sales, even if it's only a fraction of what they would get from the sale of a new game.  Hell, I'd rather make 1 cent off every book I sold than nothing at all, and for the devs, every little bit helps.

If only all gamers could get on the no piracy, no hax bandwagon...

No comments:

Post a Comment