Thursday, May 17, 2012

Three stars will always suck to me.

So, got my first 3-star review today.  The reviewer had excellent points, and of course they are free to comment as they please.  There were some glimmers of hope, especially for the beginning of the book (which I largely hated and still hate to this day).

I suppose I can't reasonably claim artistic integrity without going back on everything I've personally said about ME3.  Just to recap: I thought ME3's ending was the biggest load of nonsensical horsewonky that I've ever seen.  It had more plot holes and logic sinks than Swiss cheese.  But here's what ME3 and I have in common: somebody didn't like our ending.  Or at least, they didn't construe it in a manner we thought they would.  There is one major difference though: to me I see it as a failure on my part.  To Bioware, they stuck to their guns and blamed the end-user.

Look, would I have liked for that person to give a 5er and gush about everything in the book?  Heck yeah.  But will everybody like it?  Absolutely not.  I know I can't sit here and take these things personally, but it's hard when you've poured the last four years of your life into something and you really care about it.  This story has been 40% of my thought processes since that night in 2008 where I sat in bed watching the first episode of Legend of the Seeker (CW = fools for not renewing), and thinking "Hey, I could write something as fun as this..."

But, in closing, to Eowyn: I'm sorry my ending fell flat for you.  If you're still willing, the sequel will be out sometime next year (it's so much easier when you know what you're doing).  In the world of Fael, where I am literally the Creator, everything very much happens for the exact reasons that I have dictated.  Again, I apologize.

I just hope there are more people out there that feel the opposite about the ending as you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment