Friday, May 25, 2012

Why nobody in my office has bought the book.

I've been fielding some questions lately from friends and family about how the book is going.  While I won't lie and say things are going well, I also won't like and say that I'm not disappointed.  As an amateur author, of course the dreams of grandeur where everybody loves my book and they're telling their cousins and uncles to buy it in droves off of Amazon.  Then again, I also had a firm grasp in reality.  I knew those dreams were just that: dreams.  Getting 'Broken Sigil' out into the world wouldn't just be a marathon, it would be a slog.  A long, arduous, testing, backbreaking, nerve-racking, hair-pulling slog.
Honest work would be needed (and is still needed) to get this done.  I've dedicated a measley budget on 'exposure' expenses, and am trying to stay active in social media.  I've even picked up Twitter, which I swore long ago to never even sniff.
I could have taken an easy route to sales by telling everybody in my office (about twelve people) to buy a copy of the book, but I didn't.  I don't want people to buy the book just because I wrote it.  I want them to buy it because they want to read it.  I want to be very clear about something here: I'm not out to take everybody's money.  I'm out to entertain people.  I actually take a 70% loss on every book I sell because of my marketing costs.  I'm killing myself to tell a story, but that's what I want to do.  If given the choice between somebody willing to buy the book because they know me or somebody willing to tell five friends about the book because they know me, I'll take the person who'll tell five friends.
I don't care about the money, I care about the minds.  I want to see that people have read and enjoyed the book.  I want to see people starting forum posts about Jalen, Al, and Antoine.   I want to see people arguing about the characters' motivations and relationships.
I just want to see people entertained.

No comments:

Post a Comment